Mobile studio

Discuss any photography techniques and knowledge.

Mobile studio

Postby samwiise » May 29th, 2012, 5:54 pm

I simply wanted to share a tip I use when photographing smaller subjects. I read something about keeping a field setup diorama in a book and it seemed like a good idea. The author however described something as big as an end table for this purpose. I modified a critter keeper (it's a small plastic animal cage you find at most pet shops) for this purpose. I was originally just throwing nearby bits of branches and plants in for a setup but was faced with one big issue. Often the plastic background would show through. What I did to remedy this was coat the inside with an epoxy and then sprinkled coconut fiber over it. You could also simply paint it a dark color, but I thought this looked more natural. Then I usually add elements from the environment for a more natural setting of plants from where the animal was found. This setup work very well for animals that escape easily. The hardest part is getting them in there. I usually lay the container on it's side with the open top facing me. Then the animal can only escape through the front and is more often prone to run away to the back. Of course lugging this through the field is a pain and I find works best for road cruising. However this is very nice to have road cruising because it beats your backdrop being a road! Hope this turns out to be useful.
samwiise

Re: Mobile studio

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » May 29th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Do you have any examples of this? I have tons of critter keepers and it has piqued my interest. Let's see some photos of it in use!
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
Association of South Eastern Field Herpetologists.
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
http://www.asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Postby samwiise » June 4th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Here is an example of the mobile studio in action. I was out relaxing on my patio when I noticed this guy lurking around my garden. I had my mobile studio on hand in my shed and had a photo session. This box kept this feisty snake from being able to make a quick and easy escape. As you can see when zoomed in it creates a nice illusion of a more natural setting. Of course when I was done the racer was released back into my garden, unharmed and just as feisty as when we originally met.

20120604_28a.jpg
20120604_28a.jpg (36.8 KiB) Viewed 47554 times
20120604_15a.jpg
20120604_15a.jpg (34.58 KiB) Viewed 47554 times
samwiise

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » June 4th, 2012, 9:55 pm

I love this idea!
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
Association of South Eastern Field Herpetologists.
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
http://www.asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Return to Photography