Introduced Green Treefrogs!

General discussions on Field Herping.

Introduced Green Treefrogs!

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » May 25th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Adam Howell and myself spent the other night cruising around York Co, SC and Gaston Co. NC while it was raining to cross off a few species of amphibians, While we did find a cool P.montanus, the coolest thing was that around 11:45pm I happened to shine my flashlight on the road to have a look at a DOR specimen, only yo be surprised it was a H.cinerea! How cool!? We're not in native range of H.cinerea and there are two locations relatively close by with accidental introduced populations, the closest would be 7 miles away, as the crow flies. I wrote the local state park and got a response the next morning.

Mr. Dimpfl,
Thank you for the photo and information. Indeed we have a H.cinerea population now. We believe it was introduced when we restocked Short's Lake with bluegill. Incidentally, we think this also introduce another invasive, water primrose, as well. We're about to take steps to try to eliminate the primrose, but I suspect the Green Treefrogs are here to stay.

It's interesting that one was located so far from Shorts Lake. I'm not familiar with how far/fast they travel so I guess it may have gotten there on it's own. If not, we either aren't the only area where they've been introduced or they've expanded their range.

Kelly Cooke, Lead Natural Resource Ranger

The specimen was collected, GPS coordinates were taken and photos were takes as well. This has not been the only H.cinerea I've found in and around the county.

Eastern Mud Salamander (Pseudotriton montanus)

DOR Green Treefrog (Hyla cinerea)
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
Association of South Eastern Field Herpetologists.
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
http://www.asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Re: Introduced Green Treefrogs!

Postby hunterrd » May 27th, 2012, 12:15 pm

That's pretty cool. I think tree frogs are probably the easiest herps to accidentally transport to other locations. Potted plants and transplanted trees are an obvious source, and tree frogs can hitch rides on cars fairly regularly (unlike most other herps). I once encountered a Squirrel Treefrog in an East Tennessee hotel parking lot - I chalked that one up to hitchhiking.
hunterrd

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » May 27th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Oh, most definitely, I agree. Treefrogs are more apt to hitchhiking than most other herps, but it's always cool to see random introduced populations, especially well outside their natural range.
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Postby justingos » May 30th, 2012, 12:20 am

I saw green tree frogs at my grandmother's old house in Greenville County for years. I have seen them in a few other locales here in the upstate of SC as well. In fact, I saw one stuck to the side of someone's house on the border of Pickens/Anderson County tonight!!

Justin
justingos

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » May 30th, 2012, 12:58 am

Very cool, there is a guy who lives in York Co, SC... I get my mice and rats from him, he said he's been seeing H.cinerea for years.
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Return to Field Herping