Hello all.

General discussions on Field Herping.

Hello all.

Postby PaleoJohn » June 4th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Hello everyone. First off, I am a rank ameteur at Herping. I have been doing it on my own in New England for most of my 58 yrs. I am brand new to Port Richey Fl. and am not having much success. Besides a few ringnecks we have been finding the tiny Ramphotyphlops braminus or Brahminy Blind Snake as being quite common here. My wish list is for an Eastern Diamondback, Coral snake, Indigo etc,etc, etc, I have not even been finding rats and racers, lol. With all the gopher tortoises in our area I would have thought the snake hunting would have been a little better for me. I am hoping to find others in my area to do a little hunting with. My website is on my profile page if anyone wants toget together. Thanks for having me.
PaleoJohn

Re: Hello all.

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » June 4th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Welcome to the South East! I am sure, with some time, some more folks will be posting on here and will be able to help you out with some herping. braminus are cool finds! I was finally able to cross Eastern Diamondbacks off my list earlier this year in Apalachicola. Give it time, once you get used to the different herping environment and such, you'll be finding awesome animals left and right! Very cool paintings and tattoo's, by the way!
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
Association of South Eastern Field Herpetologists.
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
http://www.asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Postby samwiise » June 6th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Hey, PaleoJohn. Don't feel too down about the herping. Right now in particular. I have lived here for the past two and a half years. This dry season/drought has made herping here rather difficult. Many of the animals have gone into hiding. When the rains get here (which they seem to have begun) animals will start showing up again. Roadkills are often a good indicator of this. The past several months DOR snakes have been hard to come by. I take occasional trips to the East coast where the rain has been more significant and I saw two DORs this morning. When things heat up over the summer, get out during or right after rains. In regards to the animals you are looking for...wish I could help. I have seen as many dead diamondback as I have live (3 & 3, 2 DOR, one deliberate kill in a nature park) coral...search me, I have yet to find it. Indigo, find places with lots of land. They need lots of space to thrive away from humans generally. Racers should start turning up with the rains. Rats here seem a bit more reclusive than the ones I remember from when I lived in Maryland (mostly Black Rats). I usually see a few yellows and reds a year. A tips I can give you...try WMA's (of course safer out of hunting season), and google earth to find habitat. Oh and of course as everywhere else herping is better in the spring and the fall. March-May and September-October are very productive. Aviod mid days in the summer unless it is raining, you usually just finds racers. Oh and in case of drought, go to water if you can find it! Hope these tips help. Good luck!
samwiise

Postby PaleoJohn » June 7th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the reply and tips! I will have to try this week some more. The rain DOES seem to be co-operating.LOL I expect to find snakes wearing life preservers if I wait much longer.
PaleoJohn

Postby PaleoJohn » June 7th, 2012, 10:37 pm

My wife told me she deleted mail from a 17 yr old herper this morning from my area? If he was from here...PLEASE resend?
Thanks, John
PaleoJohn

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » June 7th, 2012, 11:35 pm

Let us know if you find anything!
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Postby samwiise » June 10th, 2012, 8:32 am

Well don't know if you had a chance to get out recently PaleoJohn but I would recommend it if you could. Recent rains have most assuredly returned herps to areas I had been visiting without much luck. I found a fresh nice size diamondback shed on a trail I frequent. Additionally finding herps under cover again, including a black racer under a small wooden shed and a ringneck under a palm frond right next to a paved trail. Many more nocturnal animals out and about including Florida water snakes and tons of frog species. Saw a few DOR yellow rats as well, one was a massive 5 + feet sadly, largest I have seen in the wild. Hope the drought is on its way out of here for the summer. Good luck in the field!
samwiise

Postby PaleoJohn » June 12th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Finally got out for a little bit yesterday. 4 Black racers were found out and about, 3 ringnecks and another blind snake were found flipping. I guess it may be getting better....I am thinking I need to get a little further inland. I thinks its gonna take me awhile to find some of the Items on my wish list......but it should make them all the more memerable when I do. Hope to post some nice photos soon.
PaleoJohn

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » June 12th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Got any photos of the blinds?
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Return to Field Herping