Spring Herp Trip 2012 - ANF

General discussions on Field Herping.

Spring Herp Trip 2012 - ANF

Postby Joshua R. Dimpfl » June 1st, 2012, 8:53 pm

Myself and Adam Howell left NC super early in the morning that Thursday in April, hopes were to get an extra day to herp before we headed back Sunday. We got into Atlanta pretty early but I was majorly disappointed with not seeing any zombies, like AMC so prominently boisted!

The GPS took us a totally different way this go round, for the majority of the ride down we spent in Alabama, awesome. We did spot an old house that was abandoned and scouted around it for any AC to flip but it proved fruitless, the only things we saw was this Coluber...

and several pairs of A.buprestoides

We finally did arrive to the ANF and the camp ground. We wasted no time, set the tent up and headed out for some herps, we found this S.m.barbouri under a log.

We also cruised up a nice A.c.contortrix that night.

The next morning, while everybody except myself, Dr. Bob Herrington and Eddy Brown were sleeping, I headed out on the trail around Camel Lake, hoping to see some early morning herps, I was surprised when I started getting yelled at by this critter.

Some early morning habitat shots.

as I made my way around the back side of the lake, i decided to look for some frog species to cross off my list, but ended up getting distracted by this kid.

We decided to spend most of the day poking around Tate's Hell.

And ended up finding something pretty cool! A nice Lithobates hecksheri! L.hecksheri have not been seen in NC since the 70's and to see one in Florida was pretty cool!

One morning, we heard the ranger was in town and that we needed to buck up and behave!

Ranger Rob shows us how to properly hook a M.fulvius

But something is fishy about this ranger, this S.minor knew it!

Ranger Rob's official Ranger vehicle.

I knew it! Ranger Rob just turned out to be Rob Mesquit! Another snake hunter!

Myself and Adam cruised up our first C.adamanteus! AWESOME! Sadly, one even bigger was DOR down the road and even had a .22 wound to the head.

All in all we had a great trip, the whole group did well, here are some other finds!

Tricolor Trifecta

Anerythristic barbouri, my fave!

We even had some awesome dust art!

All in all we had an amazing time! cannot wait to go back!
--
Joshua R. Dimpfl
A.S.E.F.H. President
Association of South Eastern Field Herpetologists.
joshdimpfl@asefh.com
http://www.asefh.com
Joshua R. Dimpfl
Site Admin

Return to Field Herping